Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Crab Scrapple

So I had this idea to take two Maryland classics- crab and scrapple- and combine them.

Scrapple is delicious pork offal+cornmeal+spices, potted, chilled, sliced and refried for breakfast.

Crabs are nasty aggressive bottom feeders happy feeding off raccoon corpses.

Normally I'm elitist enough to avoid anything but jumbo lump, but for this recipe using whatever comes to hand kind of matches the spirit of scrapple. So I'd use anything short of ... and possibly including ... crab baader meat.

Take 1.5 cups water, 0.5 cups cornmeal, 1 tsp sea salt. Boil water and salt. Gradually add cornmeal, whisking until thick and smooth. add spices and 1 lb. crab. I used white pepper, cayenne pepper, coriander seeds and fennel seeds. I'm a bit of a spice geek, so I prefer whole spices ground in a mortar, but whatever. You can use Old Bay if you want, just don't talk to me about it afterwards. I also added some chopped fresh parsley and shredded parsley root. Both of those are very optional. Mix the cornmeal mush and crab and spices together until uniform and pack into a mould. I used a rectangular plastic ziplock container. worked great. If you use something like a loaf pan, line it with plastic wrap. Work it into the mould carefully to avoid air bubbles. Refrigerate overnight. Slice into 3/8" portions and fry in butter in a medium-low heat cast iron pan until you have a nice brown crust. It really helps if you don't poke at it. Serve two pieces with two fried or poached eggs and some dill baking soda biscuits. Hit the eggs with a shot of Tabasco or a hollandaise heavy on the Tabasco for maximum awesomeness. Mustard based cream sauce- maybe with mushrooms- would be good too.

Worked out great, absolutely nails the texture of Scrapple while adding enough delicacy that I think this could be used on an upscale brunch menu. Oufs a'la Menken perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment