Sunday, June 14, 2009

2-7 Triple Draw

So I played a little triple draw for the first time today. That's a lowball poker game where ace is high and straights and flushes count against you. It's pretty amazing to me as a badugi player... 1. that you have (what appears to be) the correct odds to draw as often as you do. 2. How good the median showdown hand is. I mean... 75432 is the nuts. A smooth 8.... might occasionally be worth value-betting. A 9 is ... usually beat. In badugi, A234 rainbow is the nuts, but I can often value-bet a T badugi.


Playing a new poker variant for the first time is mind-expanding. It shakes loose automatic plays and preconceptions you may have accumulated. When you pause, you aren't posing, you are actually thinking. Actually analyzing. I need to bring this back with me to my regular games. I suspect that the really good players are like that.. all the time.


Anyway... this was just at the .50/1.00 tables, so we're not talking crazy money here. Ten bones, as GV at WLTV would say. But I managed to pull out a nice little 8 dollar win. Wouldn't normally mean anything to me but my first time playing the game... wicked pissah... as we don't really say here in Boston unless we're being 'ironic'.

No comments:

Post a Comment