Sunday, September 13, 2009

Biscuit with Bacon and Egg Fusion Remix

One of my favorite breakfast foods is the breakfast sandwich. Both the ghetto Mickey D's sandwiches and the upscale Eggs Benedict and variations thereof. Number one favorite is bacon and fried egg on toast, strawberry jam with sriracha chili sauce. (weird mental aside- that sentence is structured to be thought in Japanese- Ichibon!) Anyway, yesterday I realize I'm out of sriracha again and that gets me wondering how far I can push the southeast Asian thing in a tasty breakfast sandwich.

One trip to Vietnamese supermarket later and I'm ready to make an attempt.

First I want to take some pork belly and make an asian BBQ. I'm a big believer in making things from scratch if i think I can make them better- and I'm just arrogant enough to think I can make a better Asian BBQ than I can buy. Oyster sauce, nipa-sap vinegar, palm sugar, oil infused with red Thai bird chili and szechuan peppercorns is what I go with. Take the skin off the pork belly, throw the belly in a cast iron pan, pour the sauce over it and bake at 300 for 2+ hours, removing the cover in the last hour and turning and basting. Turns out yummy.



Meanwhile, I mix up a batch of backing soda biscuits, something I do most Sunday mornings unless I head out for bagels and lox. This time I add Thai red chili paste to the dough - about one tbs. per cup of flour. I make my own Chili pastes most of the time now, this one has lemongrass, shrimp paste, red bird chilies, garlic, galagal, salt. It needs to age a bit, this one is at about 3 months.

Finally, as everything is coming out of the oven I fry up some quail eggs and assemble the sandwiches. BBQ pork belly topped with a quail egg on a red curry biscuit. Not quite as pretty as I would like but very tasty.



Highly reccomend serving with Ca-phe sua, a strong Vietnamese coffee served with steamed evaporated milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment